Friday, May 21, 2010

Culinary Delights

I was reading the newspaper two mornings ago and saw an article about Sam Seltzer's Restaurants closing all over the state of Florida. Seltzer's has been a very popular steak and seafood place for years here. One of our new neighbors, Lauren, was a Corporate Trainer for Sam's and was among 300 folks laid off.

I passed Lauren on the steps outside when I was returning from running errands and expressed by sadness at her job loss -- she was amazingly not upset! She'd already gotten a new job with more pay setting up the computer system for another restaurant. About 20 minutes later she showed up at our door with two huge shopping bags of frozen food from the restaurant! She said she'd filled the trunk of her car more than five times and was giving this food away to our entire building. She gave us lobster tails, shrimp kabobs, breaded shrimp, a whole rack of ribs, a gigantic Porterhouse steak, on and on and on.

We were recently contemplating using the gift card we got from Mike and Renee for seafood at Catches, but now we'll save it for the future. I should mention that the electrical power went out in our building yesterday for about ten minutes and I freaked out thinking about all the food in the freezer!

No comments: